Black Law Windfarm
January 12th 2006 saw the official opening of the UK`s Largest windfarm. Opened by Nicol Stephens MSP, The windfarm is just outside the village of Climpy near Forth.
The 54 giant 2.3mw turbines (124mw total) are now operational
In 2011 the windfarm was extended with 23 new wind turbines being erected, supplying power for an additional 32,000 homes.
Because the project was created on the site of a former open-cast mine, the local environment has improved tremendously, notably breeding waders and farmland birds are returning.
The output from Blacklaw will meet the needs of more than 98,000 homes, also reducing carbon monoxide emissions by over 280,000 tonnes a year.
The windfarm has provided over 24km of tracks, this provides a potentially valuable resource for public access. Unauthorised motor vehicles (quad bikes etc) will be prohibited from the site via cctv and remote controlled gates.The main entrance for public access will be from the B715, just north of Climpy.
Equestrian and disabled access will be permitted.
The main entrance is beside the public car park , A pedestrian gate will remain unlocked. There is a series of gates to stop farm animals from straying, these will remain unlocked, Waymarkers will be erected to assist the public and display boards are erected at points of interest. Car Parking for up to 20 cars.
The Covenanters Monument .Darmead Memorial
The public are directed towards turbine 55,then onto the existing Muldron Forest Track for 1km.
Site where Covenanter Minister Richard Cameron raised the Covenanting standard again in 1680, the year after their defeat at the battle of Bothwell Bridge.
It is the place where Covenanter Minister James Renwick preached first to the Covenanters